19 August 2009

The Power Of Books To Transform Lives

'Life transforming ideas have always come to me through  books.'
Bell Hooks

People underestimate the power of books. A book does not necessarily have to be a best seller to have a powerful impact. Often the message may be simple, the author unknown but what is written is so powerful that it has the capability to transform a life, awaken an individual, the foresight to make a glorious difference. Books will impact individuals during various stages of their lives and no doubt in different ways.

People often reach out for messages of hope, inspiration, advice all of which are found in an infinite number of books. The right book has the ability to heal, awaken the senses, inspire and move people into action. Some of the best known books include, The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace D Wattles, How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie, The Bible, Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki, The Secret by Rhonda Byrne just to name a few. The list is endless of books that have had wide reaching audiences both professionally and leisurely and will continue for generations to come.



The book that made a significant impact on my life was “The Power of Positive Thinking’ by Norman Vincent Peale. I am eternally grateful to my uncle who had the foresight to give me the book to read in my late teens. After reading the book my way of thinking was altered indefinitely. Everything I approached in life was with a positive attitude, failure was not a consideration. Simply having this mindset made a huge difference, I became proactive and consciously made decisions to ensure my goals were achieved. That is not to say that I did not experience failure along the way, absolutely I did, however my attitude to failure was different. Numerous other books taught me to view failure as a learning experience, a personal growth to be developed. Failure was not something to be disappointed about, on the contrary, some of our greatest achievements have indeed resulted from failures as Michael Jordan said,

“I’ve failed over and over and over again and that is why I succeed.”

Books are insightful pieces of art that have a splendid uniqueness to create magic to readers who are open to the messages within. Immerse yourself in a great book and you will remember the communication, with a smile in your heart and recommend the book to others who are destined to travel the same path. The power of words will either create your destiny or simply leave you smiling.



No comments:

Post a Comment